Thursday 10 July 2014

DISCIPLES OF JESUS MUST LEARN OBEDIENCE


IOI CHRISTIAN MORNING MEAL

TOPIC: DISCIPLES OF JESUS MUST LEARN OBEDIENCE

Text: John 8:31 KJV
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

(Matthew 28:19-20; John 8:31; cf. 14:15; 15:14; Luke 6:46; cf. Matthew 7:21 w/12:46-50.

According to Jesus, obedience distinguishes merely professing disciples from true disciples. Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples” (John 8:31). Discipleship without obedience to Jesus is unthinkable! “If you love me you will keep my commandments” (Jn. 14:15). “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord and do not do what I say?” (Lk. 6:46). “Not everyone who says to me ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven” (Matt. 7:21; cf. 12:46-50).

The very work of disciple-making necessitates some measure of accountable relationship toward wholehearted obedience to Jesus Christ.” Mt. 28:20 “…teaching them to obey whatever I commanded you.”

A discipleship program that lacks this concern is surely misguided! (Author of “The Disciple Making Pastor” and “The Disciple Making Church” writes “If we have not taught obedience and encouraged it through accountability, we have not discipled” (Bill Hull). (cf. I Cor. 8:1ff). Disciple-making accountability is: “Helping people keep their commitments to God.” The obedience is to Jesus not to man.
Are you an obedient disciple of Jesus Christ ?

LET US PRAY
FATHER IN JESUS NAME, HELP US ALL TO ALWAYS OBEY YOUR COMMANDMENT AND FOLLOW AFTER YOUR STEP IN JESUS NAME. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment