Saturday 26 October 2013

IOI CHRISTIAN MEAL TOPIC: III. DYNAMIC FAITH (20-26)

CONTINUE FROM YESTERDAY. . .
IOI CHRISTIAN MEAL
TOPIC: III. DYNAMIC FAITH (20-26)

   A. WHAT KIND OF FAITH IS THIS?
      1. We know from other passages that such faith is based upon the
         Word of God - cf. Ro 10:17
      2. Dynamic faith involves the WHOLE MAN
         a. DEAD faith touches only the intellect
         b. DEMONIC faith involves both the mind and the emotions
         c. DYNAMIC faith involves the intellect, the emotions, AND the
            WILL!
            1) The MIND understands the truth
            2) The HEART desires and rejoices in the truth
            3) The WILL acts upon the truth
      3. True, saving faith, then, LEADS TO ACTION
         a. It is not intellectual contemplation
         b. It is not emotionalism
         c. It is that which leads to obedience in doing good works

   B. TO ILLUSTRATE, JAMES REFERS TO TWO WELL-KNOW PERSONS IN THE
      BIBLE:  ABRAHAM & RAHAB
      1. You could not find two more different persons!
         a. Abraham was the father of the Jews; Rahab was a Gentile!
         b. Abraham was a godly man; Rahab had been a sinful woman, a
            harlot!
         c. Abraham was the friend of God; Rahab had belonged to the
            enemies of God!
      2. What did they have in common?  Both exercised saving faith in
         God!
         a. Abraham demonstrated his saving faith by his works - 20-24
         b. Rahab demonstrated her saving faith by her works - 25-26
      3. We learn from this passage that:
         a. Faith without works is a DEAD faith - 20,26
         b. That "faith only" (the only time this phrase is found in the
            Scriptures) cannot justify one - 24
         c. That PERFECT faith necessitates works - 22

CONCLUSION

1. It is important that each professing Christian examine his or her own
   heart and life, and make sure that they possess true saving faith,
   which is a dynamic faith

2. Satan is the great deceiver; one of his devices is imitation
   a. If he can convince a person that counterfeit faith is true
      faith...
   b. ...then he has that person in his power!

3. Here are some questions we can ask ourselves as we examine our faith:
  
   Was there a time when I honestly realized I was a sinner and admitted
   this to myself and to God?

   Was there a time when my heart stirred me to flee from the wrath to
   come?  Have I ever been seriously worked up over my sins?

   Do I truly understand the gospel, that Christ died for MY sins and
   then rose again?  Do I understand and confess that I cannot save
   myself?

   Did I sincerely repent of my sins, making the decision to turn from
   them?  Do I now hate sin and fear God?  Or do I secretly love sin
   and want to enjoy it?

   Have I trusted Christ and Him alone for my salvation by responding
   to the commands He has given?  Have I confessed my faith in Christ
   and then been baptized for the remission of my sins as He and His
   apostles commanded?

   Has there been a change in my life?  Do I maintain good works, or
   are my good works occasional and weak?  Do I seek to grow in the
   things of the Lord?  Can others tell that I have been with Jesus?

   Do I have a desire to share Christ with others?  Or am I ashamed
   of Him?

   Do I enjoy the fellowship of God's people?  Is worship a delight to
   me?

   Am I ready for the Lord's return?  Or will I be ashamed when He
   comes for me?

4. To be sure, not every Christian has the same degree of faith; those
   who have had more time to grow should be stronger in faith

5. But for the most part, the spiritual inventory can assist a person
   in determining his or her true standing before God

May our prayer be similar to that of the Psalmist's:

             "Search me, O God, and know my heart;
                try me and know my anxieties;
             "And see if there is any wicked way in me,
                and lead me in the way everlasting." PSalm 139:23-24

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments:

Post a Comment